- 00 - The Beginning
- 01 - Finding nodes with a bounding box
- 02 - Outputting data about nodes
- 03 - Filtering nodes that have a tag
- 04 - Find nodes by matching tags and their values
- 05 - Find nodes by applying multiple filters
- 06 - Extracting multiple sets of nodes
- 07 - Calculating differences between results
- 08 - Generating JSON output
- 09 - Generating CSV output
- 10 - The default set
- 11 - Querying a set
- 12 - Searching within a radius using around
- 13 - Using around to filter against a set of results
- 14 - Searching by polygon
- 15 - Finding ways
- 16 - Ways and their nodes
- 17 - Ways and their tags
- 18 - Combining node and way queries
- 19 - Finding ways from their nodes
- 20 - Finding relations
- 21 - Type agnostic queries (nwr)
- 22 - Areas
- 23 - Finding the areas enclosing a feature
- 24 - Find the area derived from a feature
- 25 - Areas via Nominatim search
- 26 - Timeouts and endpoints
26 - Timeouts and endpoints
Like any open, public API the Overpass API imposes both time and memory limits on queries.
The default time out value is 180 seconds. Which is quite a long time, although in practice your query might also be rejected because of server load or because it hits memory limits.
While the default timeout is quite generous, sometimes you just need a little bit
more time. The
timeout query parameter can be used to request a longer timeout for your
Use it to specify a timeout value in seconds. The below takes our earlier CSV output example and sets a timeout of 60 seconds.
One other option available is to switch to using a different Overpass API endpoint. There are a number of public Overpass instances. But there are others which are listed on the OSM wiki.
When you're using Overpass Turbo your queries will be load-balanced across two of these endpoints.
If you're querying the APIs directly, then you can just point your code at the right URL. But if you're using Overpass Turbo then you'll need to include a special instruction as the first line of your query.
To use the Kumi Systems Overpass instance, use the following: